If you are thinking of adopting a dog then why not consider a greyhound. What I hear you say? A greyhound or lurcher? Aren’t they just for running around the track?
Contrary to what some people think greyhounds make absolutely wonderful pets. They are affectionate and friendly dogs who thrive on human company and will reward you with their great nature and loyalty for many, many years.
Even though Ireland is a small country we are one of the producers of Greyhounds in the world. Yet very few of these dogs get to live out their lives in a family home. Greyhounds and Lurchers (collectively sometimes referred to as Sighthounds) are no different to any other dog. They want to be fed, have a cosy bed and play with their human family just like any other dog would. So why do we treat them so unfairly? Perceptions are changing but up to now they have been seen as racing dogs, cat and rabbit chasers, vicious, need too much exercise and some people think they look a little funny. Nothing could be further than the truth.
We would love to open peoples eyes to how they can bring so much joy to their owners and below we can tell you why they make great family pets. Here are some of our reasons why….
1) Greyhounds are known as 45 mph couch potatoes – While they can run extremely fast they do not have the stamina to run for hours and therefore on average only need 2 x 20 mins walk a day and use of the garden. The majority are happy to snooze the day away and are even called the laziest breed by their owners!
2) Greyhounds are affectionate – They are gentle giants and really sweet natured. Some people are put off by their size but they are mild mannered and tend to not bark as much as other dogs.
3) They are adaptable – Ex-Racers are used to being handled frequently by their trainers and therefore are very used to different humans passing through their lives. They make ideal pets for families, couples and retired people.
4) They are suitable for people with allergies – Greyhounds have very short coats and therefore do not moult as much.
5) They dont smell as much as other dogs – Due to their short coat even after a muddy walk they wont have that strong dog odour
6) Their coats are hard to get dirty – Again due to their shorts coats after a muddy walk they tend to stay clean as there is no long hair to pick up all the dirt.
7) They make the best poses while lying on your couch – Seriously, just look at the picture below.
8) They are elegant and graceful – Known as the supermodels of dogs they have long and elegant bodies us humans only wish we could have!
9) They take the prettiest pictures – Long legs, glossy coats and slim waists. The camera adores them!
10) They want to retire to a home not a pound – While there are some fantastic racing greyhound owners out there who find their pets a home once the dogs racing “career” is over, the majority end up in pounds to be put to sleep or if lucky brought to a rescue. A greyhounds “career” is over at approx 4 years of age. The average greyhound lives between 10-14 years.
So have we convinced you? If so or you would like to meet a Sighthound please visit some of our sighthound rescues today!
HUG – http://adoptapet.ie/rescues/homesforunwantedgreyhounds/
Orchard Greyhound – http://adoptapet.ie/rescues/orchardgreyhoundsanctuary/
Greathounds in Need – http://adoptapet.ie/rescues/greathoundsinneed/
Caution: Greyhounds and Lurchers are highly addictive. Once you own one you may have a strong urge to adopt more!